Breast Augmentation involves the placement of a silicone or saline filled implant on the chest wall to improve the size and appearance of the breasts. Some women are pleased with the size and shape of their breasts, the vast majority are discontented with some aspect of theirs. To achieve voluminous breasts with a more aesthetically pleasing shape, breast augmentation with implants can be performed. Reasons for breast augmentation include:
- Increased volume: Many women consider breast augmentation to improve their figure. For breasts that are naturally small or that have lost volume after pregnancy, breastfeeding, or weight loss, breast augmentation surgery will add fullness to noticeably increase their size. The result can be as simple as regaining their prior volume to improving the balance of their overall body contours.
- Improved shape: Breast augmentation can achieve a shape and slope to improve conditions such as tubular breasts and breasts with a small degree of sagging. A skilled plastic surgeon not only can help you choose an optimal volume, but he or she can also make surgical adjustments to create the shape you desire — whether more natural and subtle to more round and dramatic. The adjustments can also enhance or bring your cleavage closer together.
- Improved symmetry: Most women experience some degree of asymmetry in their breasts and chest anatomy. Breast augmentation can improve the size and shape of your breasts to give you better symmetry. An experienced plastic surgeon will be able to properly evaluate your breasts to determine if the same implants should be used for both breasts or if different implant sizes or profiles would provide better enhancement. Breast symmetry can involve projection, position, and shape.
- Clothing fits more comfortably: After breast augmentation certain types of clothing (e.g., dresses, blouses, swimsuits, undergarments, lingerie) will fit better, and be more appropriately filled to achieve attractive body proportions. The improved balance, symmetry, and shape of your silhouette in dresses, in both frontal and profile views, will result in increased attraction of your enhanced figure.
- Improved self-confidence: Studies have repeatedly shown improved confidence, a more positive outlook on life, increased productivity, improved sexual performance, and other positive results from women who have undergone breast augmentation.
Breast Implant Options
Breast Augmentation involves multiple choices. Most of these factors are dependent on individual anatomy and preferences. These preferences are mainly related to how natural you want the breasts to appear. The main factors to consider while planning for breast augmentation are size, implant type, plane, and incision choice.
Breast augmentation is not a one size fits all scenario, nor is it a situation in which the breast implant your friend or colleague had would be right size for you. The first thing taken into consideration is your chest wall width. We cannot put an implant in that is more narrow or wide than your current breast width. This would result in deformity that would not only appear abnormal, but could often be uncorrectable. Once the breast width is determined, we can then determine your desired breast size. It is important not to choose an implant that is too large as this can irreversibly damage your breast tissue over time and result in problems such as rippling, double bubble deformity, and bottoming out. Therefore, we are conservative with our approach. We determine the size together based on your individual anatomy, your desires, and how you look with an implant sizer.
Implant type is based on your age, anatomy, and personal preference. We typically recommend silicone implants rather than saline implants for breast augmentation. Silicone implants look and feel more natural, have less chance of rippling, and have a lower rupture rate. From this point, we then have to decide whether to use textured vs smooth and round vs shaped (gummy bear). There are specific indications for each which we can discuss during your consultation. Lastly, we predominantly use Mentor brand breast implants. These implants, unlike Allergan implants, have a much lower (20-30 times less) risk of implant associated breast cancer (ALCL), and they are proudly made in the USA.
Breast implant plane is whether the implant is placed above or below the muscle. Below the muscle has lower risks, but above the muscle sometimes gives a better shape. Dr. Graham uses the most popular and safest technique, called a dual-plane breast augmentation technique. The implant is partially covered by muscle and partially covered by gland. As a result, you get the lower risks of a submuscular breast implant combined with the better shape of subglandular breast implant.
Incision choice, in our practice, is either periareolar (around the nipple) or inframammary (at the breast fold underneath). Both choices can be very aesthetic. We prefer an inframammary incision as there is more surgical control over placement of the breast implant, less future interference with breast feeding, and an overall lower complication rate. However, this is a choice we make together so patient desire is the ultimate consideration.
Breast Augmentation Procedure
An approximately 2 inch incision is made at the desired fold of the breast. The surgeon then finds the pectoral muscle and carefully elevates it off of the ribs. The muscle is usually released from its lower connections to the chest and also from some of the overlying breast tissue. This allows the muscle to “window shade” and give the breast a more pleasing shape when the breast implant is placed. At this point in time, using very sterile technique, the breast implant is inserted. Any changes to the pocket or overlying skin are made at this time. This is the time the surgeon fine tunes the shape and addresses any abnormalities that may lead to a double bubble or other deformity. Once happy with the size and shape the surgeon then closes the incision in layers. Dr. Graham uses a very strong deep layer that maintains the fold of the breast to ensure that both the breast augmentation scar is always hidden in the crease and that the implant doesn’t “bottom out”.
Schedule a Breast Augmentation Consultation with Dr. Graham
Dr. Graham is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in all aspects of breast surgery. When performing breast augmentation he utilizes a combination of 2 specialized breast implant sizing systems that he has tailored to his technique. He uses both the “High Five” Tissue Based Planning System, developed in Dallas, TX and the “ICE” system developed in Great Britain to plan for his surgeries. These proven systems uses scientific evidence to tailor each breast implant to the patient’s own anatomy and tissue characteristics. As a result, a patient obtains an aesthetic result without risks of tissue stretching and breast deformity. This also insures that the breast augmentation scar ends up below the breast and not in a visible location.
Breast Augmentation Frequently Asked Questions
Please refer to the following form published by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
No. Breast Augmentation is an outpatient procedure performed either in a hospital or surgery center. Dr. Graham operates at both Canandaigua, NY and Rochester, NY locations for patient convenience.
Dr. Graham performs breast augmentation surgery with the patient under general anesthesia . All procedures are supervised by a board-certified anesthesiologist to ensure the highest degree of patient safety.
Like many surgical procedures, some pain and discomfort are expected with breast augmentation. However, prescribed medications and keeping active will drastically diminish the amount of discomfort that exists. The pain experienced from a breast augmentation can range from sharp discomfort to dull soreness to a heavy pressure similar to weight laying on your chest. Your breasts may feel sensitive for some time after breast augmentation due to nerve stretch from the new implants.
The results from breast augmentation are generally permanent unless an adverse reaction or complication develops. As long as there isn’t a problem the breast implants will not need to be changed. The breasts will, of course, continue to age naturally after the procedure. As tissue quality changes and gravity exerts its effects the implant visibility and breast shape may change. To maintain optimum results, patients should refrain from gaining significant weight and need to wear the proper bras for support.
What is the recovery time following breast augmentation? When can I drive? What are the other restrictions?
Dr. Graham performs a rapid recovery breast augmentation. Dr. Graham advocates a rapid recovery protocol in which you are back to normal activities within 48 hours. In fact, you are encouraged to shower and be out to dinner the night of surgery. For most patients, you can have surgery on Thursday or Friday and be back to work on Monday. Jobs that require heavy lifting may take a little longer. You may drive when you are off narcotics and feel confident to control the car. Most patients are able to drive within the first few days to a week. The only real restrictions are avoidance of sexual and strenuous activity for the first week and avoiding heavy lifting for 2 months.
The national average cost of breast augmentation & implants with silicone implants is $6,000-7,000. This pricing includes implants, anesthesia, surgeon, and hospital fees. You can see Dr. Graham’s pricing here.