WHAT IS BOTOX® OR BOTULINUM TOXIN®
Botox® is a generic term most people use to describe a toxin produced by the bacteria clostridium botulinum. The toxin works by blocking the release of a chemical that causes muscle contraction. As a result, certain muscles can be weakened or paralyzed for cosmetic and functional purposes. Almost every field of medicine has a therapeutic usage for this class of drug. Neurologists use it for migraines, hand surgeons for muscle spasm, and urologists for bladder spasm. Plastic Surgeons often use it for cosmetic purposes to improve wrinkles and scars. There are several different brand names for this toxin including Dysport® Xeomin® and Botox® In our practice we use the toxin for cosmetic purposes in the face and for muscle spasms in the hand and forearm. We predominantly use Dysport®as we’ve found it acts sooner and lasts approximately 1 month longer than Botox.
DO I NEED BOTOX®DYSPORT®?
Dysport®injection addresses very specific wrinkles of the face. Wrinkles can be caused by aging, sun exposure, or muscle contraction. Dysport®addresses the wrinkles that are a result of muscle contraction. Most specifically, Dysport®treats the following areas:
- Lines and wrinkles that appear on the forehead can give you a harsh, aged appearance. In some individuals, these lines can appear at a very young age. Patients who have deep forehead lines may look perpetually tired and older than they feel. Dysport® Cosmetic can treat unwanted lines and wrinkles on the forehead and give you a softer, more youthful appearance.
- Frown lines are vertical wrinkles that appear between the brows. Caused by frequent muscle contractions from making certain facial expressions over time, frown lines can make you look angry and unapproachable. Dysport® Cosmetic can smooth out this area so that the face appears softer, more relaxed, and more approachable.
CROWS FEET (SMILE LINES)
- Crow’s feet, also called smile lines, are small wrinkles that appear at the outer corners of the eyes. These lines are often among the first signs of facial aging. Dysport® Cosmetic can minimize aging by eliminating these lines so that the eyes become more of a youthful and attractive focal point on the face.
HOW DO DYSPORT INJECTIONS WORK?
HOW DYSPORT® COSMETIC WORKS
- Dysport® Cosmetic is derived from a purified protein made by Clostridium botulinum bacterium
- When injected into the facial muscles, Dysport® Cosmetic limits the nerve activity
- By halting the muscle movement, Dysport® Cosmetic stops the cause of expression lines and other similar facial wrinkles
RECEIVING DYSPORT® COSMETIC INJECTIONS
- Dr. Graham will inject Dysport® Cosmetic into the desired area
- Pain is minimal, but ice or a topical anesthetic cream can be used to numb the treatment area if desired
- Procedure lasts only 10 to 15 minutes and has no downtime
- Results will typically last four to six months
WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE DR GRAHAM TO PERFORM MY BOTOX OR DYSPORT®INJECTION?
Dr. Graham is a board certified plastic surgeon. He has had specific training in botulinum toxin and other injectables. As required by his advanced surgical training and board certification, he has an intimate understanding of the anatomy involved with Dysport® injection and the specific indications for its use. As a result, you get the right treatment for the right area. This gives you better results as well as saves you money.
IS BOTOX OR DYSPORT SAFE? CAN I GET AN INFECTION? COULD I GET AN OVERDOSE?
Botox is extremely safe. It does not contain actual bacteria, only the toxin that the bacterium produces.Therefore, the Botox itself cannot cause infection, although you can get a local infection from bacteria on the skin.The lethal dosage of Botulinum toxin in humans is 3000 units. Most people will have less than 50 units per treatment. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely to get too much. However, if too much is given in one area, and the injector is not careful, then this can result in undesired paralysis of surrounding muscles.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR BOTOX TO WORK? HOW LONG DOES BOTOX LAST?
Botox begins to work in 4-7 days. It lasts for 3-6 months.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF BOTOX INJECTION?
Please refer to the following publication by the ASPS:
HOW MUCH DOES BOTOX COST?
The price of botox varies based on the amount of drug needed and the experience of the injector? Average prices are $8-20 per unit. As an example, frown lines of the forehead are typically 20 Units. Dr. Graham’s pricing can be found here.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW TO SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION!