Pro Laser Skin Resurfacing
Laser skin resurfacing involves using laser light to either target water or pigment existing within the top layer of the skin. In ablative resurfacing, performed with either an Erbium or CO2 laser, water is vaporized along with the top layers of the skin. This controlled injury results in growth of new collagen and skin. The end result is a tightening of the skin and removal of unwanted pigmentation. At Graham Plastic Surgery we use an ablative Erbium:Yag laser to achieve skin resurfacing. Erbium treatment results in major improvements in fine lines and pigment, equal in result to CO2 lasers, with less redness and downtime. The Pro portion of the Pro Laser procedure is our exclusive method of adding PRO-NOX™ nitrous oxide therapy to your treatment. This safe mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen helps alleviate any pain or anxiety involved with the procedure. It is completely safe and wears off in minutes, allowing you to drive to and from your appointment. The nitrous oxide is completely optional, but why experience unnecessary pain if you don’t have to?
How Does Pro Laser Skin Resurfacing Work?
Laser skin resurfacing involves using laser light to target either pigment or water existing within the top layers of the skin. When using the Erbium: Yag laser water is vaporized along with the top layers of the skin. The controlled injury induced by the Erbium: Yag laser results in growth of new collagen and skin. The end result is a tightening of the skin and removal of unwanted pigmentation. One of our favorite areas of treatment is the lower eyelid skin, which can be tightened with the Erbium laser, giving youthful “Erbium Eyes”. This can be done in conjunction with lower eyelid surgery to correcty dark under eye circles.
The Pro Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedure
You will arrive at Graham Plastic Surgery and have a full skin assessment by one of our registered aesthetic nurses. You will express your concerns and a full treatment plan tailored to your needs will be developed. You can then schedule your laser resurfacing procedure. On the day of your procedure you will be ushered into one of our clean and state of the art treatment rooms. You will then be given optional PRO-NOX™nitrous oxide therapy to assist with any pain and anxiety you may experience during the procedure. You will be given eyewear and your treatment will begin. Total treatment time depends on area treated, but average treatment times are 15-60 minutes.
Pro Laser Skin Resurfacing Frequently Asked Questions
Possible pro laser tattoo side effects include:
- Mild swelling and redness
- Color change of skin
- Temporary irritation resulting in blistering, crusting, scarring or other changes in skin texture
- Smoke inhalation(mild)
- Visible skin patterns
- Distortion of anatomy
- Damage of skin
BEFORE THE TREATMENT:
Discuss and disclose any healing disorders such as caused by diabetes mellitus, connective tissue disease or radiation/ chemotherapy.
Discuss and disclose if there is an active infection or history of herpes simplex of the lips, mouth or face.
Do not proceed with the Erbium Yag treatment if the patient is pregnant or breast feeding.
Discuss and disclose allergies to topical anesthetics, antibiotics, or other medications.
Do not proceed with the treatment if Isotretinoin (Accutane) has been used within the past 12 months.
Discuss the history of any hypertrophic scarring or keloid formations or other skin diseases.
An accurate diagnosis by a medical professional is necessary prior to the treatment.
Prior to the treatment, clean the treatment area. The treatment area should be free of any makeup, creams, perfumes, and lotions. Male patients should shave just prior to treatment (the pigment in your beard could increase discomfort).
Discontinue sun tanning, use of tanning beds and any application of sunless tanning products one month before the treatment.
Always use an SPF 30 or greater sunblock on all exposed treatment areas. Wear sun protective hats and clothing.
Discontinue the use of exfoliating creams/peels 1 week prior to the entire treatment.
If the patient has a history of herpes outbreaks in the areas being treated, a prescribed medication, like Valtrex is recommended for one week prior to the treatment prior to the treatment to help prevent an outbreak.
Patients will need to have:
- A mild facial cleanser.
- A high-quality sunblock SPF 30 (zinc and/or titanium dioxide >10%)
- A good moisturizer available for your after-care.
Laser skin resurfacing patients have minimal pain. The Rohrer Laser has a cooling device to maximize patient comfort. In addition, unlike a hair salon and unique to a medical practice, Graham Plastic Surgery is able to offer Pro-Nox nitrous oxide as well as strong topical and local anesthetics as a treatment to relieve pain and
Erythema (redness) will be present in the treatment area and can last from a few hours up to a few days. Treatment areas almost always become erythematous. Immediately following the procedure, patients will experience a moderate sunburn sensation that may include some discomfort. Ice packs (not direct ice) maybe applied to help soothe areas with discomfort.
Aquaphor and repair cream may be used after Erbium Yag treatments.
- It is important to protect your skin from environmental elements; therefore, a sunscreen with a SPF protection of at least 30 should be used daily.
- A few days post procedure, patients will experience mild peeling of the skin. The peeling is like the effects of sunburn. Continue to follow the skin care regimen offered by your medical professional.
- Do not pick at the peeling skin, as it may lead to scarring.
Proper skin care is important to protect the new refreshed skin. Your medical professional will discuss a proper skincare regimen following your Erbium Yag treatment.
- Clean the treated area daily with a mild cleanser. Apply a thin layer of Aquaphor to the area several times a day until evidence of dryness, blistering or swelling has dissipated.
- Shower as usual but be aware that the treated area may be a little temperature sensitive.
- Avoid chlorine, hot tubs, saunas, and swimming pools for 7 days post procedure.
- Avoid direct contact in the sun during your treatment program. Always use a topical sun protection of SPF 30.
- Avoid the use of exfoliants, loofah sponges and aggressive scrubbing to the treated areas.
- Avoid exposure to the sun and tanning beds for 30 days prior to the treatment.
- Do not rub, scratch, or pick at the treated area. Treat the area gently. Pat skin dry after bathing or showering. An antibiotic ointment such as Bacitracin may be applied. Neosporin and Polysporin are not recommended.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 72 hours post procedure.
- Avoid shaving the treated area for 48-hours after the procedure.
- If you have any questions, please call or text our office 585-300-4575.
Calm comfort is the number one benefit, but PRO-NOX™ offers a number of advantages:
- Time-tested for a wide range of procedures
- Patient control allows immediate response to pain and anxiety
- Takes effect in seconds
- Short recovery time with minimal side effects
- Safe for the duration of any procedure
PRO-NOX™ clears from the body in just minutes, allowing you to get on with your life as usual. The gas remains in the body for only about five minutes, so patients can even safely drive home after having PRO-NOX™.
Graham Plastic Surgery is a plastic surgery practice. As a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Graham adheres to the highest standards in safety and efficacy. We take pride in understanding the anatomy and physiology of hair growth and distribution. We also fully understand laser technology and physiology. There is no better facility to get a laser procedure.
The ablative Erbium:Yag laser downtime is 5-7 days.
Hair removal pricing can vary greatly. Our everyday laser skin resurfacing price is always fair and transparent. You can see Dr. Graham’s pricing here.