Choosing the right rhinoplasty surgeon for your first rhinoplasty surgery is extremely important. This is because secondary rhinoplasty is much more challenging than primary rhinoplasty and often times “your first shot is your best shot”. Scarred tissue as well as limited graft material make secondary rhinoplasty an entirely different operation than a primary rhinoplasty. It is also much more likely during a second rhinoplasty that you will need to harvest tissue from distant site, such as rib or ear cartilage, as septal cartilage was removed during the first operation.
Several factors contribute to the increased complexity of secondary rhinoplasty:
- Scar Tissue: Scar tissue from the previous surgery can make the tissues less pliable and more challenging to work with during revision.
- Altered Anatomy: The anatomy of the nose is always altered by the previous surgery, making it more difficult to achieve the desired outcome. The structure of the nose can be contorted with scar and weakened from prior surgery.
- Limited Grafting Material: In most cases, the surgeon may have used available grafting material(ie. the septum) during the primary rhinoplasty or septoplasty, leaving fewer options for revision.
- Patient Expectations: Managing patient expectations can be more challenging in revision cases, as patients may have had a previous experience that did not meet their expectations.
- Risk of Complications: There may be an increased risk of complications, such as infection or poor wound healing, in revision cases.
Choose a Rhinoplasty Expert?
It is important that you choose a Plastic Surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty surgery. Rhinoplasty surgery is a field all in itself. It is considered by many Plastic Surgeons to be the most difficult of all procedures. To be proficient in rhinoplasty requires a very specific skill set and a prolific knowledge of rhinoplasty techniques. It is a finesse surgery that takes time and a commitment to perfection. Patients should be wary of any surgeon who simply does an “add on” rhinoplasty at the time of septoplasty. Excellent rhinoplasty results take 3-4 hours to achieve.
Dr. David Graham is a rhinoplasty expert. He is a member of the both the American Rhinoplasty Society and Rhinoplasty Society of Europe. He has pursued advanced training with the world’s finest rhinoplasty surgeons, such as Dean Toriumi, Rod Rohrich, Mario Ferraz, and Rick Davis. In addition to traveling all over the US to hone his craft, he has traveled to Italy and Germany to study with the world’s best surgeons. As a result, he is at the forefront of rhinoplasty techniques, including the usage of ultrasonic rhinoplasty. He performs both primary and revision rhinoplasty procedures out of his state of the art surgical suite.
Contact Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, David Graham, MD, in Rochester, New York
Dr. Graham receives patients from Rochester, Victor, Fairport, Pittsford, Brighton, Irondequoit, Henrietta, Syracuse, Buffalo, New York and surrounding areas.