Ultrasonic Rhinoplasty, or Piezosurgery, is a revolution in rhinoplasty. Popularized by Dr. Aaron Kosins of Newport Beach, Ca, and French surgeon, Dr. Olivier Gerbault, Piezosurgery is the most disruptive technology to happen to rhinoplasty in over 20 years. Dr. Graham is the only rhinoplasty surgeon in Western New York to use this innovative technology.
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty, also known as ultrasonic-assisted rhinoplasty, is a surgical technique that utilizes ultrasonic energy to perform certain aspects of the nose surgery. Piezosurgery uses ultrasonic energy (vibration) to cut hard tissues. Have you ever had a cast? When a cast comes off, it must be removed with a saw. However, the cast must be removed without hurting your skin. That is where ultrasonic vibration plays a role. When a saw vibrates at a certain frequency it will cut hard tissues like a cast or bone without cutting soft tissue like skin. The Piezotome device used in rhinoplasty follows the same principle. The instrument vibrates at 3,000 vibrations per second, cutting only bone and hard cartilage, while leaving delicate soft tissue behind.Here are some potential advantages associated with ultrasonic rhinoplasty:
- Precision and Control: Ultrasonic instruments allow for precise bone sculpting, offering surgeons better control over shaping and refining the nasal structures. This can lead to more accurate and predictable results.
- Reduced Trauma: Traditional rhinoplasty methods often involve breaking and repositioning nasal bones, which can cause more trauma to the tissues. Ultrasonic rhinoplasty can minimize trauma as it allows for controlled bone removal without the need for excessive force.
- Less Bruising and Swelling: Due to reduced trauma and a more controlled approach, patients undergoing ultrasonic rhinoplasty may experience less bruising and swelling compared to traditional techniques. This can contribute to a quicker recovery and shorter downtime.
- Preservation of Soft Tissues: The ultrasonic technology is designed to target bone structures while preserving the surrounding soft tissues. This can result in a more natural appearance and potentially reduce the risk of complications.
- Customization: Ultrasonic rhinoplasty allows for a high level of customization, enabling surgeons to tailor the procedure to the specific needs and anatomy of each patient. This can lead to more personalized and aesthetically pleasing outcomes.
- Reduced Risk of Complications: The precise nature of ultrasonic rhinoplasty can contribute to a lower risk of complications such as asymmetry or irregularities in the nasal contour.
- Improved Functional Outcomes: In addition to aesthetic benefits, ultrasonic rhinoplasty can be advantageous for addressing functional issues, such as nasal obstruction. The technique allows for careful adjustment of nasal structures to improve both form and function.
Choose a Rhinoplasty Expert
It is important that you choose a Plastic Surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty surgery. Rhinoplasty surgery is a field all in itself. It is considered by many Plastic Surgeons to be the most difficult of all procedures. To be proficient in rhinoplasty requires a very specific skill set and a prolific knowledge of rhinoplasty techniques. It is a finesse surgery that takes time and a commitment to perfection. Patients should be wary of any surgeon who simply does an “add on” rhinoplasty at the time of septoplasty. Excellent rhinoplasty results take 3-4 hours to achieve.
Dr. David Graham is a rhinoplasty expert. He is a member of the both the American Rhinoplasty Society and Rhinoplasty Society of Europe. He has pursued advanced training with the world’s finest rhinoplasty surgeons, such as Dean Toriumi, Rod Rohrich, Mario Ferraz, and Rick Davis. In addition to traveling all over the US to hone his craft, he has traveled to Italy and Germany to study with the world’s best surgeons. As a result, he is at the forefront of rhinoplasty techniques, including the usage of ultrasonic rhinoplasty. He performs both primary and revision rhinoplasty procedures out of his state of the art surgical suite.
Contact Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, David Graham, MD, in Rochester, New York
Dr. Graham receives patients from Rochester, Victor, Fairport, Pittsford, Brighton, Irondequoit, Henrietta, Syracuse, Buffalo, New York and surrounding areas.